Ortodox Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin
The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin is an Orthodox church located in the part of the city called Srpska varoš.
In 1857, the Serbian National College was built in today's churchyard. Next to it, the foundations for an Orthodox temple were laid in 1868, which was built and consecrated in 1874 and dedicated to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin. The church was built in Romanesque style, with one large and three small towers. The bell tower had a clock, as well as four extremely harmonious and loud bells.
In World War II, the church was demolished. The cornerstone of the new church was laid in 1969, and the building was completed and consecrated in 1971. The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin was built in the Moravian-Byzantine style. In 2002, the church was renovated and expanded. The altar was extended and four towers were built, two on the altar section and two on the back side of the temple, next to the bell tower. The interior of the church consists of iconostasis made of carved icons and frescos on the walls. The church is illuminated by two large and richly decorated chandeliers.